Saturday, February 23, 2008

They're Back!!


As you probably already know, reading is one of my favorite things to do. Last year I read sooooo many books, not just books, but really good books. One of my favorites was The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall. Originally I didn’t plan to read the book, but one day I picked it up and couldn't stop.


The story is of 4 sisters that live with their father, a boy named Jeffery, a dog named Hound, and the adventures they have together one summer. It is one of those feel good stories that made me remember the fun summers I had as a child, I simply adored The Penderwicks. If you haven’t read this book yet, it is definitely one to add to your list (did I mention that it won the National Book Award in 2005?).


During the holidays I went to visit my parents and whenever I go anywhere I always try to make a stop at an INDEPENDENT bookstore, so we went to a fabulous store in Austin named BookPeople. I was blown away, not only by the store, but also by the staff. Thank goodness my family understands because I spent hours there looking around and talking to the children’s area staff. While talking to the children’s book buyer, she informed me that she had just received a copy of the sequel to The Penderwicks.


I was sooo excited and thought maybe there would be a copy waiting for me to read once I got back to Las Vegas. No such luck. However, after a few e-mail request I finally got a copy. Needless to say I got it, read, finished, and loved it! The book is due out in April so I'll post a short summary later.
Jen



No comments: